LGBTQ+ Building Community Awards Nominations are Open!!
The LGBTQ+ Building Community Awards recognizes the contributions of individuals within the university community who have shown outstanding service regarding lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer+ (LGBTQ+) concerns. Building Community Awards honors nominees who are active participants in improving the climate of diversity and inclusion for LGBTQ+ people at UC Merced. We accept nominations from across campus and the larger Merced City Community and recognize all nominees, with special recognition going to one faculty, staff, post-doc, graduate, and undergraduate student for going above and beyond in advancing and supporting the LGBTQ+ community. The Building Community Awards Ceremony will be hosted annually during Pride Week at UC Merced and will take place on April 4th 2019.
NOMINATE SOMEONE TODAY!
Eligibility Requirements for Nominees
- Nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a UC Merced undergraduate student, graduate student, postdoctoral scholar, faculty, and staff at time of nomination.
- Have not previously received the award.
- Have exhibited and sustained efforts towards engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion for LGBTQ+ community as delineated below in “Selection Criteria.”
- Be an individual, not a group.
Anyone who has made significant contributions to supporting, affirming and advancing the status of the LGBTQ+ community can be nominated to receive a LGBTQ+ Building Community Award. We accept nominations for individuals who identify on the LGBTQ+ spectrum and Allies. Nominees will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates emerging or sustained commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts dedicated to furthering the lives of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Demonstrates exceptional efforts of promoting an environment that is free of bias, advancing goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion through exceptional leadership efforts, and contributing to the advancement of LGBTQ+ people and communities.
- Demonstrates commitment to advancing the lives of LGBTQ+ people and community by involvement in causes and/or organizations.
- Demonstrated that their diversity, equity and inclusion efforts for the advancement of LGBTQ+ people and communities have either resulted in significant benefits to the LGBTQ+ people and community at large or have significant potential for the establishment of other programs or activities.
Nominations open until Feb 14th 2019 at 5pm.
As someone submitting a nomination, you are asked to answer the questions listed below, all questions should be between 100-500 words:
- Describe how the nominee’s efforts demonstrates an emerging or sustained commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion dedicated to furthering the lives of LGBTQ+ people and community.
- Describe how the nominee leadership efforts engages in promoting an environment that is free of bias, advances goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributes to the advancement of LGBTQ+ people and communities.
- Describe any LGBTQ+ causes and/or organizations the nominee participates with either now or in the past that contribute to advancing the lives of LGBTQ+ people and community.
- Describe how the nominee efforts have significantly benefited the LGBTQ+ people and community at large or have had a significant potential for the establishment of other programs or activities that benefit the LGBTQ+ people or community.
- Describe any additional information that will assist with the evaluating the contribution that demonstrate why this person should receive the Building Community Award?
If you know of others who would like to nominate individuals, please send them information about the Building Community Awards and the link below:
Thank you for taking time to nominate someone for the Building Community Awards! We greatly appreciate all the work done for and by the LGBTQ+ community which assists in creating an affirming, inclusive and welcoming environment for the LGBTQ+ community at UC Merced.
For any questions or accommodations, please contact Ariell Wright, LGBTQ+ Initiatives Intern, at email@example.com or Angi Baxter, LGBTQ+ Initiatives Coordinator in the Office of Student Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org