Skip to content

Trans @ UCMerced

Trans* Resources at UC Merced


Trans Awareness Day

To find out more information about Trans Awareness Day, Please click here.


There are a number of resources available for the Transgender community at UC Merced and in the valley. Here is a short list to get your started:



Is gender identity a protected class under university policy?

Yes. The University of California, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University’s student related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to Student Conduct staff in the Office of Student Live, KL 184, 5200 N Lake Road, Merced, CA, 209.228.5433.

Title IX prohibits sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence, in any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be directed to the Director of Compliance (Title XI/EEO/AA), 22209.285.9510, or the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights at Students may grieve any action that they believe discriminates against them on the ground of race, color, national origin, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age by contacting the Office of Campus Climate, KL 107.

For more information, please visit:

To formally report discrimination/harassment, please visit

To informally report a bias incident, please visit


Are gender identity and gender expression protected classes under UC Merced’s Nondiscrimination in Employment policy?

Yes. It is the policy of the University not to engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with the University of California on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services. This policy applies to all employment practices, including recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer, merit increase, salary, training and development, demotion, and separation. This policy is intended to be consistent with the provisions of applicable state and federal laws and University policies.

To read the full University of California Nondiscrimination in Employment Policy, please visit

For more information on employment protections, please visit Campus Human Resources.


Legal Name Change Process for California

Court-Ordered Name Change:

  1. Fill out court forms (Form NC-100, NC-110, NC-120, NC-130, and CM-010).
  2. Make at least two copies of all your forms. 
  3. File your forms with the court clerk.  You will need to pay a filing fee which may be different depending upon where you are filing. To find your local courthouse, visit Fee waivers are available:  You will be assigned a court date to appear before a judge.
    1. Merced County Fee: $435
  4. Publish the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120).  This must be posted in a newspaper for four consecutive weeks before your court date. Ask your court for a list of approved publications. The cost of publication can vary greatly among the various approved newspapers, so be sure to check the prices before submitting Form NC-120 to the courthouse.
  5. Attend your court date.  Bring a copy of Form NC-130 for the judge to sign, as well as proof that your Order to Show Cause was published in the newspaper.
  6. Get your Decree Changing Name from the Court. It is advisable to get at least one or two certified copies.  You can use this to change your name on your birth certificate, Social Security card, and other government-issued identification.

Additional Resources:


Legal Name Change Process for UC Merced

Students may request to change their name on official University records. The form is available at the Students First Center or by downloading here.

Legally recognized proof of the change of name will be required before the form is accepted and processed. Students planning to graduate should file this request along with their Graduation Application.

Faculty & Staff are able to do a Legal Name Change and update their Preferred Name through UCPath. You can download step by step instructions here.

Lived/Preferred Name

Can I use a lived/preferred first name?
Yes. Any student at UC Merced may provide their lived/preferred first name to the Office of the Registrar regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name. Preferred name (when provided) appears on CatCourses class rosters that faculty use in conducting class activities and communication. It is also the name that will be displayed in the Commencement program. And, although email address will not be updated automatically, lived/preferred name also appears as the display name on UC Merced email and the directory.

To indicate lived/preferred first name, or make a change to what is currently listed, students should log into and click on MyPersonalInfo. From there, chose the Bio-Demographics tab.

Will my lived/preferred first name appear on all UC Merced records?
Not all. The lived/preferred first name is used solely for UC Merced’s internal purposes and is currently only used in CatCourses. Student legal name will still be used for all official purposes, such as student accounts, financial aid, verifications, official transcripts, diplomas, and commencement.

Does a lived/preferred first name affect my legal name?
No. An approved lived/preferred name does not change a student’s legal name. Students may request to change their name on official University records. The form is available at the Students First Center or by downloading here.

Legally recognized proof of the change of name will be required before the form is accepted and processed. Students planning to graduate should file this request along with their Graduation Application.



A Lived/Preferred Name change provides you the ability to reflect an online identify consistent with how you name yourself in the real world. A Lived/Preferred Name is not a legal name change and your legal name will remain on university documents that have legal standing. A Preferred Name is associated with your legal names in UC Merced System of Record. For questions about changing your name or photograph on yourCatCard, contact Angi Baxter. You can also access the steps to change your email through the Office of Information Technology here.



Admissions Application

UC Merced students have the optional opportunity to disclose their sexual orientation and gender identity on their admissions application. The application reads: “Any information you provide in this section will be used for statistical analysis only. It will not be used in your admission evaluation and will have no bearing on your eligibility for admission. Providing this information is optional.”


Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Markers

Providing gender identity and sexual orientation information is voluntary and completely optional. For students who choose to share their information, here is how it may—and may not—be used. Data collected on gender identity and sexual orientation provide UC Merced with meaningful population data necessary for prioritizing resources and other student support services. These data also enable UC Merced to develop curricular and co-curricular offerings that reflect students’ diverse perspectives and that promote a safe and welcoming learning environment for all students. UC Merced only collects these data in the aggregate, meaning a student's name and bio-demographic information will not be linked. For more information about resources available to the LGBTQ+ community at UC Merced, visit LGBTQ Resources.
To indicate Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity informatoin, or simply make an update to the data already provided, students should log into and click on MyPersonalInfo. From there, chose the Bio-Demographics tab. Click here for instructions.



Gender Inclusive Housing on Campus

UC Merced is committed to providing residence accommodation that is inclusive, safe and respectful of all residents regardless of gender identity and expression. The Gender Inclusive program is open to all housing applicants. The Gender Inclusive (GI) housing option was developed to provide a safe and inclusive environment for students regardless of their gender identity and allows students of all gender identities to live among each other in the same suite/room. Gender Inclusive rooms are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and all interested residents must be accepted into the program in order to receive a GI room assignment. Students who are interested in learning more about the GI housing option should contact Michele Kleeman at



Transgendr Health Benefits (Faculty & Staff)

The University of California’s comprehensive medical benefits encompass the broad needs of our diverse workforce to keep our employees, retirees and their family members healthy. Nearly all of UC’s medical plans offer benefits for transgender health as highlighted in this fact sheet. For Trans* employees, here is a comparison of what is covered by each healthcare provider.

Suggested Best Practices for Supporting Trans* Students on Campus

UC Student Health Insurance Plan (Students)

The University of California Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) provides benefits to insured students for many of the charges incurred for transgender surgery (also known as gender confirmation surgery). Not all charges are eligible and some are only eligible to a limited extent.

Transgender surgery must be precertified and performed at a facility designated and approved by the claims administrator for the type of transgender surgery requested.

If there are travel expenses in connection with an authorized transgender surgery performed at a facility which is designated by the claims administrator and approved for the transgender surgery requested, claims can be made for reimbursement (provided the expenses are authorized by the claims administrator) for up to six trips.

Charges for services that are not authorized, or which are provided in a facility other than which the claims administrator has designated and approved for the transgender surgery requested, will not be considered covered expenses. 

Transgender surgery is payable 90% in-network or 60% out-of-network rates. There is no lifetime maximum on the gender confirmation surgery benefits.

Please be aware that certain providers have more experience in transgender care, therefore please indicate that you are interested in obtaining transgender care when you make your appointment.

For more details, please visit the Trans* Student Health Coverage page.



Last fall, Governor Brown signed into law the Gender Recognition Act (California Senate Bill 179). The law streamlines the process for Californians to apply to change their gender markers and creates a nonbinary gender category (the letter “x” or “nb”) on California birth certificates, drivers’ licenses, identity cards, and gender-change court orders. This enables many in our community—including transgender, intersex, and nonbinary people—to have full recognition in California.

SB 179: Gender Recognition Act text (PDF)

For information about how to change your in California under the Gender Recognition Act, please go to this link:

For information on how to change your gender marker at the DMV, please go to